The effects of xenophobic attack cuts across all the business you can possibly think of; Entertainment industry, Sports, Political economy, Transportation and Tourism etc. Billions of dollars worth of goods and properties have been damaged in the cause of the going xenophobic attack in South Africa. Many lives has been lost. Many rendered jobless and hoodlums have taken to streets to perfect their acts of criminality.
Nigeria’s government is responding to reported xenophobic attacks on its citizens in South Africa by boycotting the ongoing World Economic Forum (WEF) in Cape Town, South Africa and will reportedly recall its ambassador to South Africa. Nigeria’s foreign minister also invited the South African high commissioner to Nigeria “to protest the unacceptable burning and looting of properties belonging to Nigerians” and make “concrete proposals” for compensation of Nigerians affected.
Madagascar latest to boycott Bafana Bafana
Zambia withdrew from a planned fixture before Madagascar went down the same route. In both instances, they cited the xenophobic attacks as reason for their pullout.
“The South African Football Association (SAFA) has taken a decision to release the players who had been in camp whole week to go back to their clubs after the withdrawal of Madagascar team from the friendly match against Bafana Bafana which was scheduled for Orlando Stadium on Saturday, 7 September 2019.
“The decision to release the players was taken after the meeting with the players and technical staff.
“SAFA has consistently and strongly condemned the xenophobic attacks and the criminal looting of foreign and South African businesses and wanton attacks on foreign nationals and South African citizens.
“We reiterate our call that these criminals must be arrested and dealt with harshly. We have noticed that 289 arrests have already been made and we urge the authorities to accelerate further arrests and prosecutions,” the SAFA statement read in part.
Meanwhile, the national football team, Bafana Bafana, have been released from camp after the football association failed to secure a friendly opponent.
Xenophobic attack: Airlifting of Nigerians from South Africa
A local carrier in Nigeria, Air Peace, on Wednesday offered to evacuate Nigerians willing to leave South Africa back home, the Nigeria Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to inform the general public that following the recent unfortunate xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals, including Nigerians in South Africa, the Proprietor of Air Peace Airlines Chief Allen Onyema, has volunteered to send an aircraft from Friday, 6th September 2019 to evacuate Nigerians who wish to return to Nigeria free of charge.
“The general public is hereby advised to inform their relatives in South Africa to take advantage of this laudable gesture. Interested Nigerians are therefore advised to liaise with the High Commission of Nigeria in Pretoria and the Consulate General of Nigeria in Johannesburg for further necessary arrangement
Tiwa Savage, Burna Boy ditch SA; victims lament experiences
Players in Nigeria’s entertainment industry have severally been reacting to the violence in South Africa with two of Nigeria’s biggest acts announcing that they have ditched trips to South Africa.
The first was musician Burna Boy, who on Tuesday tweeted that he would not be visiting South Africa ever again. In a tweet storm slamming the violence he also tasked the government to immediately find a solution to the crisis.
“I have not set foot in SA since 2017. And I will NOT EVER go to South Africa again for any reason until the SOUTH AFRICAN government wakes the fuck up and really performs A miracle because I don’t know how they can even possibly fix this,” he said.
For her part, Tiwa Savage, posted on Twitter that she had suspended an upcoming engagement in Johannesburg in the light of recent developments.
“I refuse to watch the barbaric butchering of my people in SA. This is SICK. For this reason I will NOT be performing at the upcoming DSTV delicious Festival in Johannesburg on the 21st of September. My prayers are with all the victims and families affected by this,” she said in a tweet.
Meanwhile, a number of African leaders who were expected in Cape Town for the World Economic Forum on Africa pulled out barely hours to the opening of the proceedings.
Paul Kagame of Rwanda, Felix Tshisekedi of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Peter Mutharika of Malawi were listed among those that opted out. The event has since kicked off
Xenophobic attack on Tourism
Tourism has grown to be a major social and economic force in the world today. It contributes to the balance of payment of a nation and also an earner of foreign exchange. Tourism serves a multiplier of income and a generator of employment in the world today. However one of the major impediments to tourism achieving its economic and social roles is Xenophobia.
Safety has always been an important prerequisite for the attraction of international tourists. Xenophobic attacks puts tourism in a difficult trading environment as it scares tourist away. As tourism aids in building nation’s image, this is damaged easily by xenophobic attacks, and also international relation is impeded.
Xenophobia destroys the nation’s economy structure that tourism might have built, reduces socio-economic benefits accrued to community residents through tourism enterprises. As the world is a global society several tiers of government should take vivid stands against several causes of xenophobia in the society. This would be a stand to stop further decline of economy of social standard of the world society.